About the Company
History of „Klaipedos maistas“
- „Maistas“ AB, which operated in Kaunas during the interwar years, was the predecessor of „Klaipedos maistas“ UAB and was famous for both the quality of its meat processing and the successful export of Lithuanian meat and meat products. The company also supplied meat to the Lithuanian army.
- „Maistas“ AB was active in the Klaipeda region, an area known for its livestock, and it was here that the Lithuanian government decided to invest in an abattoir and in cold storage facilities leading to the creation of „Klaipedos maistas“ which became a major meat exporter to the United Kingdom.
- The company was renamed the State Meat Factory in 1939 and operated under this name until privatization in 1993.
- In 1966, the State Meat Factory moved from Liepu street to a new building on Silute road.
- In 2001, the company became part of HKScan, the Finnish-owned meat industry group that operates in the Baltic and Scandinavian countries. It was joined under HKScan’s ownership by several smaller meat processing companies.
- The company operated under the name of „Rakvere“ for some time, but regained its old name „Klaipedos maistas“ in 2004.
- In 2014 name of company was changed to „HKScan Lietuva“ UAB.